Design Trend: Experimental Typefaces & Fonts
One of the biggest trends in website design is experimental typefaces. These funky, unique, and always special fonts can serve as the backbone of a project or provide a special spark.
Experimental typefaces come in a variety of formats from handwriting styles to interesting serifs to color or animated fonts. There’s something for everyone with fonts that are a little bit different (or even customized).
来看看这个s design trend and how to make it work for you.
Get unlimited downloads of 2 million+ design resources, themes, templates, photos, graphics and more. Envato Elements starts at $16 per month, and is the best creative subscription we've ever seen.
What is an Experimental Typeface?
What might be most important when thinking about, designing, or using experimental typefaces is the push and pull between uniqueness and readability.
Many of these typefaces are immensely unusual. That makes them beautiful and visually appealing.
While this category of typography is “newer” to website and digital design, it is not new. Experimental typefaces have been at the root of poster design for decades. Just look at the cool type treatment for the promotion of “Vertigo” (1958, above).
A key characteristic of the style is overall creativity that shows words, letters, and individual characters in a different way.
Sometimes this means they can be difficult to read.
在使用这种类型的元素时，排版为艺术和排版之间存在微妙的平衡，以传达消息。使用具有足够支持元素的实验字体 - 背景，视觉线索或图像，其他字体中的文本 - 即使显示类型需要刻录的瞬间，也可以确定消息传递是清晰可理解的。
- Edgy and funky with strange lines, missing strokes, or unusual swashes
- Animated or function with motion
- Include illustrations as part or as the whole of the typeface
- The experimental typeface is your one design “trick;” keep the rest of the project streamlined visually.
- Support experimental typefaces with highly readable secondary fonts to ensure your message gets across.
- Create ample contrast, including color and space, for experimental options. Color and animated fonts may need more room to breathe than some other styles.
- Play with lettering and the actual words you plan to use. With highly interesting and unique styles, some fonts might not look great with some letter combinations. Work with ligatures, swashes, and overlaps to ensure you have the best typeface for your words.
- Typelab:The studio includes more than 20 type designers and their projects. (They have a fun space promotion running now with cool animations of various typefaces, above.)
- Future Fonts:Find funky and high-quality fonts that are brand new and don’t have a lot of use. There’s plenty of experimentation happening here and you can buy typefaces before they are finished and get updates.
- Font Space:Browse more than 124 free typefaces that have been tagged experimental by the designer.
- Envato Elements:With 48 options to choose from, you’ll find anything from scripts to variable fonts to animated styles.
Tips for Using Experimental Typefaces Well
Experimental typefaces aren’t for everyone or every project. They work best when you have a specific typography goal in mind – such as creating a specific feel or using type as art.
5 Places to Find Experimental Typefaces
您可以在传统上寻找字体的所有地方找到实验字体。找到他们是一个知道它 - 当你看到它的东西。
There are free and paid options out there with many independent type designers offering experimental options. Mainstream foundries and typography vendors also have options in the style and some type houses even focus primarily on experimental styles.
If you are struggling to find an experimental option that works for you, try one of these five sources.
5 Designs with Beautiful Experimental Typefaces
While these fonts aren’t for everyone, they can add a perfect finish to some projects with flair.